Art Deco was initially a luxury style that used expensive materials like silver, crystal, ivory, jade and lacquer. After the Depression, it also used cheaper, mass-produced materials like chrome, plastics, and other industrial items.
Due to its clean and simple, yet luxurious style, Art Deco has proven to be an enduring design trend. To incorporate this design style into your décor, choose lighting fixtures that exhibit Art Deco characteristics:
- Symmetrical and repeating geometric and angular patterns
- Streamlined and modern design
- Long, vertical silhouettes
- Steel, chrome, bronze, and other shiny metal finishes
- Clear, faceted glass and crystal or Tiffany glass
- Large, over-scaled fixtures
Remember, the goal is to create a dramatic, elegant effect!